The Clock that Struck 13 Times

chap.2: Teahouse.


Notes: This is rated PG-13 due to murders. I created Lady Lawena character, so she belongs to me.

Cain was able to hail a cab carriage to take them to one of the local teahouses in London. When they reached the teahouse, the trio quickly found a table and ordered something from the menu. As promised, Cain got Merryweather the newspaper with Sherlock Holmes. He also picked up an early morning paper containing the news of the recent clock murder.
"Riff, it says here the murder victim was done in the same manor as the other eight victims as being dismembered and placed in side a grandfather clock," said Cain while having the paper in front of him.
"My, my, what morbid curiosity you have for one that is so young," spoke a gentle feminine voice behind Cain.
Cain turned around in his chair to see the intruder. Sitting before him was a lady in dark men's clothing with an ornate fan in her hand. She looked be around twenty years old. He also noted that she had unusual white-blonde hair trailing down past her chair. Some of her hair was loosely bounded a bit in the back. Her violet eyes were alive with kindness. A plain, dark blue parasol rested against her table.
The lady saw Cain's cold analyzing stare, and said, "Oh, I am sorry! Where are my manners? My name is Lady Lawena." She extended her hand out to Cain.
Cain stood up out of his chair and took her hand in his and kissed it. "I am Count Cain Hargreaves."
Oh yes, the Earl of Poisons," and she smiled kindly to Cain. "Do not worry. I do not believe everything that I hear about people. Why, you should hear some of the rumors of what other people started about me. I am glad to meet your acquaintance."
Cain smiled and said, "I do not care what other people think about me."
"I could not but overhear your interest in the news of the Clock Murderer. It is just so happens that I also have a morbid curiosity in murder cases. A hobby you might say. If you come to my table, I will tell you all the particulars about the unfortunate events."
"I will be delighted to join you and hear what you know about the murders. Do you mind if my sister and friend join us too."
"Not one bit. I love company to share my knowledge with."
"Good, let me introduce them. This is my sister Merryweather and my trusted friend Riff."
"I am happy to meet you both," and Lady Lawena nodded her head to each of them.
Riff picked up their belongings and papers. In quick order, he set them out onto the lady's table and seated Cain and Merryweather.
"Now Lady Lawena, what do you know about the clock murders," said Cain as he rested his chin on his hand.
"Well, you know that the victims have been found in the same way at clock shops. But, only in one case was a body put in a grandfather clock that was in a pawnshop. There have been no reports of witnesses seeing the murderer. All the victims were elderly gentlemen, who were grandfathers from families that ignored them and would not miss them right away. Also on each case, the grandfather clocks' hands were moved as to what number the victim was. Like this tenth victim, the hands would have be moved to ten o'clock on the clock face."
Cain flashed back to the scene and remembers that the clock's hands were set to ten o' clock. "Does the police think that it is one murderer or a group?"
"The police definitely say that it is one person committing these acts. They have also ruled out the family members doing the deed due to not having any motives and having alibis."
Cain went silent sorting out the information he was given. He tried to figure some speculations as to a pattern.
Lady Lawena understood Cain's thoughtful gaze and talked no more. She sipped her tea and frequently fanned herself while the other two read their own papers. Then a little later, the distant gongs of Big Ben were telling that it was now three o' clock.
"Oh my, the time sure passes too quickly when you have good company. I am truly sorry, but I must go to a important appointment somewhere else," and she frowned a little.
Her voice woke Cain from his internal thoughts and stood up along with the gracefully tall lady. "It was a pleasure talking to you Lady Lawena. Not many people stay and talk to me."
"You are most welcomed. It was also pleasure meeting you, Count Cain, and your dear little sister and good friend. I wish I did not have to leave. Maybe, we will meet each other again," and she smiled sweetly to the three standing.
"I hope so too." Cain escorted her out of the teahouse and opened her parasol for her. She thanked him and said farewell. Cain meandered back to his chair, but the table felt somehow like something was missing that the lady filled with her presence.
Merryweather looked up from her paper, "Brother, I think I really liked that lady. She was most kind to you."
"Cain, I do agree. Lady Lawena was interesting and opened mined to us," added Riff.
"I really do hope we meet her again," said Cain. He sighed and went back to reading his paper and figuring.


T.B.C.

Visit my web site on Count Cain at http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/
To the reader: reviews are welcomed, and if you want to barrow my fic to place it somewhere, please contact me by e-mail.


Auteur: Unicorn
E-mail: csunicorns@yahoo.com
Url: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/index.htm