The Clock that Struck 13 Times

chap.4: Cain's Manner.


Disclaimer: Count/Earl Cain characters respectfully belong to Kaori Yuki, and I gained nothing in writing this story. Does anybody really read this because someone told me I didn't put her name up ^.^;
Notes: This is rated PG-13 due to bloody parts. Cain, Riff, Merryweather, and Dr. Jezebel I didn't create, but other characters I did.
There is a little English accents here, so me = my in some cases.
Biscuits are thin like cookies.

Cain awoke at first light of the sun when it was just touching the smoking chimney roofs of London. He slowly sat up in bed and gazed out the opened window to the colorful dawn. When the bedroom door creaked opened, Riff stepped inside with a basin of water and a slight smile upon his lips as to say good morning to Cain. Riff washed and clothed Cain for the day. Cain remained quiet and only moved when his friend needed him to. Riff meticulously brushed out Cain's silken hair with gentle hands. When he was finished with his morning administrations, Cain followed Riff out to the breakfast room. Riff seated Cain at the table and poured some morning tea. As Cain drank his tea, Riff went off to get Merryweather up. A few minuets later, a sleepy Merryweather came into the room wearing a robe. She gave her brother a good morning kiss on the forehead and went back to her room to get dressed for the day with Riff's help. Cain just blankly stared off into space as he held the teacup with two hands and sipped his morning tea.
Finally, Merryweather returned and sat down next to her silent brother. Riff appeared carrying a large tray with their morning meal on it. He served Cain his hot porridge with cream and gave Merryweather's with fruit in it. Riff placed a plate of toast between the two with the jam and honey, and he gave Cain the early morning paper next to him. Then he poured some breakfast tea for himself and sat down at the table to eat his porridge. Merryweather happily ate her breakfast. Cain put down his teacup and applied himself to his meal.

When they were finished eating, Riff cleaned away the dishes. Merryweather and Cain went to the drawing room. Cain picked up his newspaper and leaned against the window's sill to read it while his sister took up to reading a book in an armchair. His attention was quickly taken up with the headline of the Clock Murderer striking again with the tenth elder victim at Watson's Fine Clocks. Cain read the particulars, which they were the same as the cases before accept this time there was a relative that noticed the old man was missing the day before. A grandson by the name of Mathew Carter reported to the police about the disappearance of his grandfather Thomas and was gravely upset to hear that his grandfather was found to be one of the murdered victims. The article even gave the address to the grandson's home. Cain pondered on this for a moment and decided to investigate. He cut out the article and placed it in his scrapbook of news clippings along with the ones he added the other night.
When Cain saw Riff entered the drawing room, he spoke out, "Riff, I am going out for the day and will return near suppertime. Please take care of things while I am out."
Riff had on a worried expression, "Did another murder happened?"
"Yes," answered Cain, and he moved off the sill. He left the room with Riff behind him. Cain put on his black gloves and hat at the door, and Riff placed on his cloak and gave Cain his walking cane.
Merryweather came up to her brother and gave him a hug. "Now be safe my dear Brother."
Cain kissed his little sister goodbye on top of her head. "I am sorry that I must leave you alone today. I promise to be back before suppertime," and smiled as he went out the door and passed the fence.
"I hope we don't have to get him out of trouble again Riff," said Merryweather while they watched Cain's diminishing figure.

Cain saw a horse drawn cab and told the driver the address to Mr. Carter. The cab calmly clopped off through the busy streets of London. With in twenty minutes, the cabby rained in the horse to a plain flat. Cain came out and paid the man.
"Do you want me to wait for you m'lordship?" asked the cabby.
"No thank you driver," and Cain turned away to walk up to the door. He heard the cab clacked off. Cain looked at his pocket watch, and it told him it was after eleven thirty. Then he used the brass doorknocker three times.
A sad man with light brown, shoulder length hair and eyes answered the door. The man was a little surprised to see a black clad young stranger with greenish eyes at his door. "May I help you sir?"
"Yes Mr. Mathew Carter, I am Count Hargreaves, and I want to help you catch the murderer of your grandfather."
"Oh?"
"I am able to have some influence on the police investigations by figuring out some clues for them that they had failed to observe."
Mr. Carter believed Cain. "Please come in Count Hargreaves," and he opened the door for Cain to come in. "May I hang up your cloak and hat?"
"Please and thank you," and Cain took them off and handed them to the man, who placed them on the coat pegs near the door.
"Would you like me to get you some tea and biscuits?"
"No thank you. Please do not take it rudely of me for refusing your hospitality of your food."
"As you wish Count. Let us sit and talk in the kitchen because I was about to have some tea meself."
"I do not mind," and Cain followed the man to a plain kitchen. He sat down in the chair that was across on the table form Carter's
"What do you wish to know Count?" said the man as he drank his tea. "I am afraid I don't know everything about me grandfather. The rest of me family don't care about him to trouble themselves on checking on him. Because he was kind to me, I felt it was me duty to check on him when I could after work."
"Did your grandfather have any friends?"
"One that I know of, but he keeps to himself. He rarely went out to drink at a pub."
"I see, did anyone come to visit him when you did check on him for the last month?"
Mr. Carter took a moment to answer. "I remember grandfather saying that an amber eyed shoe salesman by the name of Mr. Dawmoor from Oldland Shoes came to his door a few weeks ago. Grandfather hates salesmen coming to his door, and he shuts the door on their faces."
"I too dislike salesmen bothering me at the wrong times," said Cain.
Mr. Carter slightly smiled at Cain's remark. "If you don't mind me asking Count, why do you want to help catch this Clock Murderer?"
"Mr. Carter, I hate seeing people who causes suffering to others. Either by murdering or abusing someone."
The man nodded in agreement to Cain's noble cause. Cain went on to ask what Mr. Carter's profession was. The man answered that he worked for a clothing store. Cain questioned what it was like in that line work. Mr. Carter replied about the inner working of his job.

After a few hours passed, Cain noticed it was time to leave. "I must leave now Mr. Carter and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and you have my deepest sympathy," and he stood up.
"I hope what I said helps you," and the man got up and showed Cain to the door.
Cain retrieved his cloak and hat. He said farewell to Mr. Carter and strolled out the door. Cain wondered around on the sidewalk and pondered on what he got from the grandson. Later, he checked his pocket watch, and it was time to head back home before Riff would be greatly worried and Merryweather became angry with him for being late. Cain was able to find a cab and rode back home before suppertime.
When Cain came through the door, Riff appeared and took off Cain's hat and cloak. "Did you find some answers Master Cain?"
"Maybe some of them Riff."
Upon hearing Cain's somber voice, Merryweather came out into the hallway. She quickly walked over and hugged her older brother. "Welcome back home big brother."
"I hope you were not too bored while I was gone."
"No, Riff showed me today how to play chess."
Cain smiled and patted his sister on the head as he went by her. "Riff just tell me when supper is ready. I will be in my study," and he ambled off.

T.B.C. Visit my web site on Count Cain and other Yuki's manga at http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/

To the reader: reviews are welcomed, and if you want to barrow my fic to place it somewhere or ask me something, please contact me by e-mail at csunicorns@yahoo.com


Auteur: Unicorn
E-mail: csunicorns@yahoo.com
Url: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/index.htm