The Clock that Struck 13 Times

chap.5: A Pawnshop


Disclaimer: Count/Earl Cain characters respectfully belong to Kaori Yuki, and I gained nothing in writing this story.
Notes: This is rated PG-13 due to bloody parts. Cain, Riff, Merryweather, and Dr. Jezebel I didn't create, but other characters I did.
Drawing room was the word for living room during the late 1800s.


Cain had risen the same way the next day. He went through his morning ritual with his loved ones. Cain looked at the early morning paper that Riff had given him at the table. Again, boldly across the front page was the report of the Clock Murderer had taken his eleventh victim at another clock shop and the out cry to put a stop to this killer's rampage.

Cain sighed and said, "Well, there was another murder again in London while we slept."

Merryweather stopped eating while her fork was in her mouth, and she stared at her brother with raised eyebrows.

"So, you will be going out today as well on a grand adventure, Master Cain," said Riff. He looked up from his meal at Cain and slightly smiled.

"Yes, you know me quite well my friend. I will go to the shops that the bodies had been found at and see if I can find any clues as to trance down the identity of this Clock Murderer. It will probably take me all day, so I do not know when I will return Riff."

"As you wish Cain, I will await for you until evening."

"Brother, I want to come with you as you investigate the shops. You better not say no because I am tired of you keeping me up in this house. Or, I will run away from you!"

Cain strictly looked at his young sister, "Merryweather you are…"

"Please brother. I feel safer with you in my sight," pleaded Merryweather.

Cain took a moment to respond. "Alright, you can come with me, but I wish dearly that you would change your…"

"Yay! I get to go with my brother. I will go get my hat!" she jumped up from her chair and skipped off to her room.

"Riff, do you think my dear little sister will ever listen to her elder brother," said Cain in a monotone voice.

"Never," replied Riff calmly.

"Are you on her side now, Riff?"

"No comment" and he sipped his tea.

Cain groaned and covered up his head in surrender.

Merryweather skipped back into the room with a hat matching her light blue dress. "I am ready brother," and she smiled.

Cain couldn't help but grinned at his little ray of sunshine of a sister brightened up the room. He got up from his chair. "Maybe, I can use you as a distraction while I look for answers."

"No, I won't play decoy for you. Anyway, you cause more of a distraction than me with wearing all black clothing. You like the grim reaper in that attire!" she scolded.

"Well, I am sorry that I just so happen to favor the color black!"

"Should I come with you then Master Cain?" interrupted Riff.

"I guess you should since Merryweather is coming with me. There is no need for you to stay."

"Very well Cain. I will need to set up some things before we leave for the day." Riff cleaned up the table and left the room.

"I still say my brother dresses weird," mumbled Merryweather.

Cain with his sister tagging along went to the drawing room. He cut out the paper article and put it into his little scrape book. Cain noticed that Riff had came up to the doorway. He went out and joined his friend to the front door. He picked up his cane and received his cloak and hat from Riff. Cain walked out the door with the two following behind him. He hired a cab for the day.

They went to the nearest clock and time repair shops first. Riff and Merryweather had some fun together as they let Cain exam the grandfather clocks that the victims' remains were found in. They later stopped for lunch and tea at a social restaurant. When they had eaten and rested, the three went off to the other shops. But, at each one, there was nothing to be found as a connection to the murderer. So for only two grandfather clocks had been thrown away and the rest were restrained.

Finally in early evening, Cain and his tired company reached the last shop, which it was the odd pawnshop that the fourth body was found at. He went inside while the other two waited in the cab. In the pawnshop, there were many odds and ends about. There was only one grandfather clock in the back to the right of Cain. He casually went up to it. Cain smelled that it was re-varnished cheaply to cover up the bloodstains. He looked all over it and around the shop, but he found no clues. Cain went back to clock and starred up at its face as the clock ticked on. I wonder why the person chose grandfather clocks to leave the victims in, thought Cain. All I can see is that all of them were nicely made with carvings, which the killer must have picked them out. Cain stood there for a moment while he gazed at the face and its moving parts. A realization came over him. Wait, I see now that all the clocks have a certain face design containing the sun, the moon, and the star constellations. How would this person know that this type of grandfather clock was here in this pawnshop? The person must have came here to see it. Cain walked over to the desk that was absented of the shop owner. He ranged the little bell to get the owner.

"I'm coming. I'm sorry that I didn't hear you come in," yelled the owner behind a half-closed door. An older gentleman pushed the door. "Yes, young Master may I help you," said the man in a friendly voice.

"Ah yes good sir, I want to know if someone had came to look at your grandfather clock a couple months ago. You see a friend of mine was looking for a certain clock and found it, but he lost the shop's name. If you do remember, tell me what the person looked like."

"Oh yes, I do remember a man admiring my clock. Not many people look at it. Let's see he had light brown hair and a nice suit, but not upper class like yours. Also, oddly enough he had amber eyes."

Cain's mind stopped for a few seconds and remembered what Mr. Carter said.

"I remember grandfather saying that an amber eyed shoe salesman by the name of Mr. Dawmoor from Oldland Shoes came to his door a few weeks ago."

"Now, does that fit the description of your friend?" continued the shopkeeper.

"No, that is not my friend. Thank you very much for your help."

"I hope you do find your friend's clock."

" Good evening to you then" and Cain left the place. He came up to the cab driver and asked, "Driver do you know by chance where Oldland Shoes is?"

"Yes m'lord that in deed I do. I have a relative that works there."

"Good, take us there please."

"As you wish m'lord."

Cain joined the other two and the cab clacked off. Cain's companions gave him questioning expressions. "I found a clue," and Cain grinned.

After a while, the cab came to a halt at the shoe company's shop. Cain went in alone and waited up front. One of the women workers came over to him. "May I help you young Master?

"Yes, I would like to have the address to one of your salesmen by the last name of Dawmoor. I need to finish some business with him."

"Certainly young Master. Please, it will take but a moment to get it."

"Wonderful, I shall wait then Madame."

The woman left and came back with Dawmoor's address on piece of paper for Cain.

"Thank you for your help Madame" and Cain walked out. He noticed that it was now dark and fog was rolling in. Cain gave the cabby the address. He jumped into cab and it moved on its way. "Well Riff and Merryweather, I think I found out the murderer," he said happily.

The other two both sighed at the same time and thought, Here we go again.

Auteur: Unicorn
E-mail: csunicorns@yahoo.com
Url: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/index.htm