The Clock that Struck 13 Times

Chap.6: Dark Ways

 

Notes: This is rated PG-13 due to bloody parts. Cain, Riff, Merryweather, and Dr. Jezebel I didn't create, but other characters I did. I have nothing against my kind grandfathers. This is just a story.

Riff, Merryweather, and Cain were traveling in a half-open cab carriage that bumped and clopped along on the slightly foggy, dark streets of London. There were sounds of people about that scurried and hanged around the streets. Soon it switched to more private resident housing, which there were few people and lights to be seen on the walkways.

Cain leaned out a bit and talked up to the driver, "Sir would you please stop a couple of blocks before we reach the street address."

"Will do m'lord." The driver took them pass a few more streets and halted the horse next to the corner. "Here you go m'lord and two blocks to your left is the house address you wanted."

Cain got out and helped Merryweather down. Riff followed after her. "Thank you driver and please wait here for our return."

"I will await for you m'lordship then."

Cain led the way as Merryweather and Riff kept up behind him. No one else was seen about them.

"Brother, are we going to break into this home or listen at windows and doors again? Remember last time you did that, and a woman saw you and thought you were a pervert or something. I never saw so many pots and pans go flying in my short life," piped up Cain's sister.

"Yes I do, which three pots hit my head and knocked me out a little. Riff had to give me that awful herb tea for a week to help take down the swelling."

"Too bad it did not knock some sense into you and cure you of your wondering," spoke out Riff.

Merryweather giggled at Riff's remark.

Cain turned his head, "You two stop teasing me about my misfortunes."

Riff and Merryweather both laughed out loud at Cain.

"Now be quite, we are almost there."

They were few houses away from the one they were looking for when Cain spotted a door that was opening up. Cain quickly pushed his companions behind a stairway. He watched around the side and saw a man step out a little and look around down the street. He saw the man came out again with a large leather game bag carried heavy over his shoulder. Cain waited for the man to be far enough ahead to be able to follow. He and the other two moved silently in the shadows after the man.

The man walked with his burden for a long while, which he also stayed in the shadows and alleyways. When he came to his destination, it was a clock shop and it was well into the night.

Cain watched the man form afar go around the back and put down the game bag. He saw the man skillfully break into the window of the shop without leaving a mark. When the man dragged in the bag into shop, Cain quickly moved up to the side of the window and his companions trailed behind him. He peered a little through the window. Cain saw some light form inside and was able to see the man's movements. He saw the figure move to a grandfather clock and open the cabinet with gloved hands. Then he noticed that the man's eyes were the color of amber. It was reveled to Cain what was in the game bag as the man carefully removed body parts from it and placed them into the clock. Cain pulled back from the window and whispered, "Riff quickly get the aid of the police and tell them with all haste to get to this clock shop to capture the Clock Murderer, who is in the act of disposing of the body of the twelfth victim."

Riff hesitated not for one second and silently hurried off to get the police.

Cain pulled out his pistol and quietly climbed through the open window. When he was in the right position, he spoke out coldly, "I shall advise you to stop Mr. Clock Murderer or should I say Mr. Dawmoor because I will shoot you if you make any motions to flee."

Mr. Dawmoor snapped his head in Cain's direction, "What! Who's there?"

"I am Count Heavgreves and the police are coming as I speak."

Mr. Dawmoor hissed at Cain, but stopped himself from attacking when saw Cain raised up his gun. "How did you know it was me as the killer? I was so perfect in planing all this out."

"One of your victims remembered your amber eyes and name and mentioned it to his grandson. Also, You picked a out of the way grandfather clock, which the owner again remembered a man with amber eyes."

Mr. sneered at Cain's findings. "I wish all grandfathers were not so troublesome."

"Why did you murder those helpless grandfathers?"

"It was because they were worthless, cruel, greedy old men. My grandfather treated me like an animal and cheated my inheritance from me. I can still hear his stupid ticking clock. I enjoyed hacking him to bits with an axe and I got away free. Now, I got even more revenge by killing other grandfathers," and Mr. Dawmoor laughed with glee.

Suddenly, Cain was startled by the high pitched whistle scream that a policeman blown nearby. It was all it took for Mr. Dawmoor as he threw the lamp at Cain. The lamp crashed into Cain and he shot off his gun. Mr. Dawmoor went out the back just as the police busted into the shop and went after him. But it was in vain because he slipped away into the allies.

Riff came in after the police and checked to see if Cain was all right. He was relived to see his friend was in one piece.

Merryweather rushed into the shop and put her arms around her brother.

Cain signed and said, "Well my sister, I did not smash my pocket watch on this little adventure."

Merryweather whacked her brother. "I don't care about your dumb watch! I am worried about you, you ninny!"

Cain moved behind Riff. "Protect me from my evil sister."

"What!" exploded Merryweather. How can you call me evil? That's very rude! She had fisted hands and angrily glared at her brother.

Riff just rolled his eyes and garbed both of them around the collars. "Time for bed children!" He dragged them off to the cab carriage.

* * * *


Meanwhile, the fog had rolled in more thickly over London. Mr. Dawmoor stumbled into a familiar alley under window that had a lighted lamp in it. He clutched his bleeding arm. "Where is that doctor? He said he would be here waiting for me." Then he heard the eerie chimes of Big Ben as it began to mark that it was one am. "Ha, stupid Bobbies. The only thing they can catch is a dead body."

"I guess I will have to make you dead then," said a dark voice and a glint of a sword glided out from the dark shadows and cleanly beheaded the man. The shadowed figure tossed two tarot cards onto the decapitated body. "Oh my, your time has come on the thirtieth hour. Time to get a new clock," and the figure disappeared.

Later, Dr. Jezebel arrived into the alley. "Mr. Severin Dawmoor are you here?" Then the Dr. was somewhat surprised to see the human remains on the foggy ground. He emotionlessly walked up to the body. Dr. Jezebel noticed the cards and picked them up. "The High Priestess and The Queen of Swords. How very odd?"

The Dr. traveled back to the hiding place. He showed up at Alexis' doorway and reported what had happen and handed over tarot cards. "Did one of our members do it?" asked Jezebel.

"No," replied Alexis calmly. He examined the cards. "The High Priestess. The Queen of Swords. A mysterious truth that is awaiting and can not be fooled."

"Curiouser, and curiouser," pondered Dr. Jezebel as he rested his chin on curled fingers with the index finger along his cheek.

T.B.C. 1 more chapter. Please read and review, and tell me ideas, what type story or characters do like to see in a Cain fic. Visit my web site on Count Cain and other Yuki's manga at http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/ I will take in any Cain fanart if sent.

Auteur: Unicorn
E-mail: csunicorns@yahoo.com
Url: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/harbour/107/index.htm